The village of Hope was mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086. Six cart loads of lead was paid in tax at the time and would have most probably been mined from Pindale.
Pindale Farm is at the entrance to Pindale and could have been around at that time.
We are told that the local Eyre family brought Pindale Farm from the Hassop Estate around 1340, unfortunately there is not a lot of information regarding the farm. The farm remained in the Eyre family till the early 1900’s when the land was sold to build a cement plant next door.
Pindale Farm is situated next door to the Hope Cement plant. The original plant owned by G and T Earle dates from 1929 long before the Peak District National Park.
Pindale Mine on the other hand is a completely different story with too much information to put here. The farm and mine were always separate. Mention of mining at Pindale started around 1698 and during the early 1730’s the mines were fairly rich. A drainage level was made between Pindale Mine and the river starting in 1743.
Around 1870 a horizontal steam engine was purchased from Sheffield for £365 and housed in the Engine House which is now a grade 2 listed building.
The main barn at Pindale Farm was converted in 1932 to accommodate 18 cows and stabling for three heavy horses plus storage for the Milk & Dairies Acts.
In 1987 the farm had declined in to disrepair and the buildings were derelict. Planning permissions were obtained and in 1988 the barn was converted to accommodate 52 people and the Engine House a further 8 people.
The centre was officially opened by HRH the Prince of Wales 24th April 1989.